Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Saturday, November 19, 2011

The end of vegging out?

Maybe.
Do I suck?
Maybe.
And I already feel crummy about it.
After years of being a vegetarian, I am doing a meat month.
What does that mean?
It means I caved to pressure from someone in my life.
I'm not a follower but in this case the intense and long-lasting pressure and lectures made me decide to try something different.
The insistent voice of a committed carnivore is that I would feel better if I ate meat.
So far all I feel is guilt. How could I not?
Just listen to news stories about how we treat food animals.
The Associated Press reports this week about one farm: "... images shot by Mercy for Animals showed a worker swinging a bird around by its feet, hens packed into cramped cages, male chicks being tossed into plastic bags to suffocate and workers cutting off the tips of chicks' beaks."
For the love of God.

Kudos to McDonald's and Target for seeing this and taking action.
But the person in my family promised I would feel better. So I promised a month.
So far I feel crummy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home