Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Friday, November 30, 2007

Full disclosure

As some of you have gleaned from my past posts, I am not a true vegetarian. The technical term for me is a pescetarian, but I guess I never really thought this term applied to me, because I don't like fish very much and it's such a small part of my diet. But it is technically correct.

You see, I decided to stop eating meat nearly two years into my relationship with Dan, who is also a pescetarian. He had been gently encouraging me to give up meat for awhile, but I only did so after an incident (yes, the one involving the crab, I'll share it later) that made me truly want to. But following in his footsteps, it seemed obvious for me to continue eating seafood like he did.

The other day, I received a reader comment on this blog asking what fish ever did to me. The answer, of course, is nothing. Helen then suggested I should disclose in the blog's introduction that I'm not a true vegetarian. To be honest, the thought of doing this upset me. It also made me question my choice to eat seafood.

I am still working out my own personal reasons for not eating meat. There are so many good reasons not to--moral, environmental, health, food safety, etc.--that I don't see myself turning back. But I guess I'm not yet sure if my reasons (which I don't fully understand yet) apply to to seafood. For instance, the land use issues of raising livestock certainly don't. And fish have a very different level of mental sophistication than, say, cows. But maybe the moral issues trump the differences. I just don't know.

So I'm asking you all for help. If you are a pescetarian, why do you choose not to eat meat but to eat seafood? If you're a strict vegetarian, why do you think it's not okay to eat seafood?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in the process of vegetizing( like that?) my diet. I was a vegetarian for a while and then went back to my carnivorous ways. Now I am contemplating the change again. The thing is I will NOT give up fish and I will NOT deny myself the occasional indulgence of meat in my diet. My reasons for trying to become a more full-time than part-time vegetarian is simply health related. I know the health benefits of the vegetarian diet and wish to implement that in my and my family's lifestyle.
I do, however, take offense to people that try to impose guilt upon me based on the choices they have made for themselves. So, someone saying I was a "bad" vegetarian would be annoying to me rather than inspirational. Preaching and informing are two very different things and it would serve some people well to learn that.
PS I am excited by this forum for discussion and look forward to more recipes to try!

December 01, 2007 7:18 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home