Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Food is love

Especially when it's shared by families

How many times do you have to badger your vegan/vegetarian much younger brother to get a recipe for your blog?
In this case not a lot. so thanks Colin, I really appreciate you sharing what I know is one of your favorite dishes. For those who don't know me well, it's likely Colin - and his young daughter Daisy, who pushed me into the vegetarian lifestyle. Colin (who when he is not cooking, is busy saving the world from global warming, mountain top removal and myriad other social and environmental evils) co-opted my two daughters into being vegetarians at a very young age. I had not come over to the side of the light back then, but I did wholly support my girls from the start.
But enough on that. (Though if you want a peek at him, there's a pic below)
Here's the recipe - and I have had these potatoes at family events, so I can vouch for how yummy they are.

Vegan Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:
Potatoes (any kind will do)
Plain soy milk or rice milk
Vegan butter (Earth Balance is really good)
Salt
Garlic (garlic powder will do in a pinch)

Directions:
1. Wash potatoes well (I recommend leaving the skins on).
2. Boil potatoes until soft; they cook more quickly if you cut them into
smallish pieces. If you're in a hurry you can microwave the potatoes.
(While the potatoes are cooking listen to good music. Regina Spektor
comes to mind.)
3. Smoosh the potatoes with a potato smoosher or a spoon.
4. Stir in milk to make them creamy.
5. Add liberal amounts of vegan butter and garlic
6. Salt to taste. If you're cooking for other people remember that they
can add their own salt.
7. Enjoy.

P.S. If you're not a vegan, (but are a vegetarian) try adding cream cheese between steps four and five for an extra special treat (it's my secret ingredient).

3 Comments:

Blogger caringmom said...

Now that is vegan comfort food!

February 25, 2010 11:48 AM 
Blogger Helen Bennett Harvey said...

Thanks Caringmom - and Colin makes them the best!

February 25, 2010 4:50 PM 
Anonymous Rich said...

We make a very similar recipe Helen.
We always leave the skins on the potatoes - hence the name "Dirty Mashed Potatoes". Delicious.

February 26, 2010 12:03 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home