Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Monday, February 15, 2010

Starbucks stinks

It doesn't really, of course, and on most days my desire for a gingerbread latte is something akin to a dirty little secret.

But gingerbread lattes are seasonal and Starbucks in Woodbridge really did come close to stinking on Sunday.

There I was, a newly minted vegan-in-training, standing there already perplexed and needing help about what wonderful soy filled concoctions might await those who eschew milk.

The staff had others ideas.

They were apparently too "busy" to wait on me in any normal fashion, let alone be friendly enough to prompt me to ask about getting soy milk in coffee. Note to the staff there, however: I was the only one on line, at least inside the store and only one person was waiting at the pick up counter.

That little rant out of the way, my point is that I would have liked to take 10-30 seconds to ask a question about soy milk and coffee.

I had jumped right into the vegan tryout and - oh bad me - did not prepare properly for my coffee trip by reading the Starbucks Web site to see what they have to offer.

That's the real lesson for anyone who wants to be a vegan: come prepared.

Meanwhile, the oh-so-busy staff bustling about did plop a container of vanilla soy milk on the counter for me.

The bottom line?

The coffee with soy milk was good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes it takes a little extra effort, but it's always worth it! On the plus side, Starbucks is now carrying Lucy's vegan cookies, so next time you have a craving for a soy latte, you can safely dunk some of these. The perfect way to celebrate going vegan!

February 15, 2010 9:30 AM 
Blogger Helen Bennett Harvey said...

Thanks Mary - good advice!

February 15, 2010 1:47 PM 
Anonymous Rich said...

Helen...you simply need to learn to take your Starbucks like I do - straight up, no frills.

Keep up the good work! You won't regret it. Another great site for you to check out is my friend Sassy Knutson's site. She has a lot of great recipes and information regarding the whole vegan thing. You can find her at
www.vegancoach.com

Keep postin' - I'm rooting for you!

Rich

February 15, 2010 1:59 PM 
Anonymous Graham said...

I think since this original post they've diversified a lot. Check them out again if you haven't had the chance to.

December 07, 2012 7:58 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home