Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Just another Georgie's Girl?



Can bliss be found in West Haven?
I know I spoke on Facebook the other day about a great experience I had with a Campbell Avenue auto parts business and how good they were to me by helping me to install windshield wipers. They did the work, I watched.
Well I also had a good experience on Elm Street in West Haven.
This time it was at Georgie’s Diner. That’s the former Elm Diner for folks who know the area.
Now, however, you can get almost anything you want at this restaurant. And that includes vegan fare.
In keeping with the current theme of what Lauren and I are trying to accomplish, a trip out to lunch this week had Georgie’s as the target. Word, it seems, get around among vegans and vegetarians.
At first I was not so sure the service would be great, but it turned out to be pretty good and I liked our seats because I could watch the bustle of West Haven go by. I used to cover West Haven as a reporter and I am very fond of it.
I had a vegan reuben sandwich. It’s been a long time since I have had anything like it and I can’t wait until next time. The sandwich has tempah and rice cake on it - and sauerkraut and mustard. It came with a choice of sides, and I chose vegan chili. So, because it was too much to eat at once, for about $8 I had lunch and dinner.
A plus was that when I ordered coffee, I got a little pitcher of soy milk with it, and that was a first for me. I am totally used to soy milk in coffee now.
Georgie’s has plenty of vegan specials (tofu picatta) - and appetizers and a vegan cake for desert.
The bottom line as time goes by in this vegan trial, I suggest, “don’t be so scared of changing and rearranging yourself...and oh, what a change there’d be.”

P.S. Lyrics of Georgie Girl taken with due tip of the hat to The Seekers.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home