Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Giving Tollhouse a run for its money


Inspired by what I saw (and tasted!) Friday night at the all-you-can-eat vegan dessert buffet, this morning I made a batch of vegan chocolate chip cookies. I used a recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and boy are they delicious!

Just like with the chocolate cake I made a few weeks ago, the recipe called for some odd ingredients (tapioca flour?) and techniques that had me a little worried while baking. The batter was delicious, but very soft and sticky, so it wouldn't form properly shaped cookies. But everything smoothed out in the oven, and they came out great!

I find vegan baking really fun because of the creative ways recipe authors use to get around eggs and butter. It's fascinating to watch a mixture of soy milk, oil and tapioca flour work its magic and turn respectable cookie dough.

Let's see what my co-workers think tomorrow when I bring them to the office bake sale.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodie said...

I use corn starch instead of tapioca flour all the time when I'm using that recipe- they come out just as good. :-)

April 20, 2010 11:58 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Proudest moment of my "career" as a vegan--a coworker just started raving to me about the cookies, and I got to tell her they were vegan. She was amazed!

April 21, 2010 3:16 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home