Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Plea for Passover Help

Hello dear readers!

I've encountered a mini vegan crisis. I've been kindly invited to my cousin's house for a Passover seder on Monday evening. While they've been so generous to provide some vegan options for me, I was really hoping to contribute a vegan main course to the meal (partly in an effort to be a good guest, and partly so I don't go hungry).

Here's the problem: the majority of the staples I've relied on in my vegan cooking are not Kosher for Passover, particularly those that provide protein. According to my source of Jewish wisdom (my mother), the following are not Kosher for Passover:

all beans, including soy
rice
wheat
peanuts
corn
peas
lentils
mustard
sesame and poppy seeds

I'd appreciate any recipe recommendations you can provide!
By the way, does anyone know where I can find egg-free (ie. vegan) matzoh?
Thanks in advance,
Lauren

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger zoe p. said...

http://inmolaraan.blogspot.com/

Not entirely vegan, but entirely awesome. Check out the Chocolate Lady's Sort-of Annual Vegetarian Pesekh Guides. They are in the right hand sidebar, way down.

March 25, 2010 10:46 AM 
Blogger zoe p. said...

http://www.ctbites.com/home/2010/3/26/chef-talk-passover-planning-w-tabouli-grills-chef-judy.html

Another resource, again, not all the recipes are vegan, but there's some good ideas in there.

March 28, 2010 9:41 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quinoa is considered kosher for passover as it's not a grain or legume.

March 30, 2010 4:06 PM 
Anonymous Lauren said...

Thanks for the suggestions! The seder was last night, and I ended up making a pretty traditional vegetable tzimmes, which I adapted from Robin Robertson's recipe. It was sweet potatoes, carrots, pineapple and golden raisins baked for a long time with orange juice and cinnamon. I think it was a hit!

March 30, 2010 4:14 PM 
Blogger zoe p. said...

That sounds delicious and beautiful!

March 31, 2010 4:47 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home