Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Good recipes

With Christmas just around the corner (and Chanukah a fading memory), I thought I'd share with you some of my tried and true recipes. I've been making both of these for probably seven years or so and they always come out tasty. I think both would be nice things to bring to a holiday party (a hint to those in my office).

The first recipe is for chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, my favorite kind of cookie. The copy I have is hand-written so unfortunately, I'm not sure where I got it from.

(Here's a picture of the cookies I made this weekend. Yum!)

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (that means oatmeal)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I tend to use less)

Preheat oven to 350.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and oats.
In another bowl, with an electric mixer cream butter and sugar.
Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
Beat in flour mixture and stir in chocolate chips.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoons two inches apart onto buttered baking sheets.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden.



The second recipe is from Cooking Light magazine.

Mom's Banana Bread (Not my mom's, though)

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup light butter (I use regular butter)
1-2/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
2 large egg whites
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350. Combine sugar and butter in a bowl; beat at medium speed with a mixer until well-blended. Add banana, milk, sour cream and egg whites; beat well and set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir well. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, beating until blended.

Spoon batter into a pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home