Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Sunday, February 17, 2008

My venture into African cuisine

I tried a new dish today and was pleased with the results. It's an African Sweet Potato Stew with Red Beans. The recipe comes from Cooking Light.

A note: The recipe calls for you to cook most of the ingredients for 8 hours, something I didn't notice until around 6pm when I started cooking. After worrying over this for awhile, I read further in the recipe (I have a real problem with reading directions thoroughly) and realized the cooking was supposed to be done in a slow cooker, which I don't have. So I took a chance and made it instead in a pot on the stove over low heat, at a simmer, stirring occasionally and tasting to see when the vegetables were tender. It took about an hour, I'd say. I'm not sure if it would have turned out better had I used the slow cooker.

2 teaspoons olive oil
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 1-1/2 pounds)
1-1/2 cup cooked small red beans
1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained (I couldn't find these in the supermarket so I substituted hot sauce)
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts
6 lime wedges

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender
Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add sweet potato and next 10 ingredients (through chiles). Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add peanut butter, stir well with a whisk. Stir peanut butter mixture into stew. Top with peanuts; swerve with lime wedges.

Yields: 6 servings
calories: 308, fat 8.8 g

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home