Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

You got peanut butter in my chocolate



I am probably dating myself by thinking about the old Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercial.
I really can’t even picture it, but the catch phrase from it clearly stuck in my mind and has become a good example of an issue I am giving thought to.
Yet while the peanut butter - chocolate mess resulted in a popular concoction, my conundrum is not likely to sound so yummy, especially to those who have long eschewed meat and/or all animal products.
The question I am thinking about is whether it is ever OK for a vegan or a vegetarian to eat something that even touched a product they would not normally eat.
For instance: if there were a tray of nachos in front of you, would it be OK to take chips from the bottom of the pile that had not been touched by the cheese piled on top? What if the cheese melted and some it leaked onto the nachos below?
I know when my daughters were younger and adopted a vegetarian lifestyle - and I wholeheartedly supported it because it was a moral choice they made - I never mixed a vegetarian dish with a utensil that I had already used to mix a meat dish. That just would not seem right.
But if you were served a sandwich and someone had accidentally put cheese on it, would it be OK to take the cheese off and eat the sandwich anyway? Should it go to waste if no one else wanted it?
One of my kids - a nearly lifelong vegetarian - now calls herself more of a freegan -not in it truest sense - but for her which means in part that if there is food available and it would otherwise go to waste - she believes it’s OK to eat it, even if it contains meat. An example she used was that after one college apartment roommate moved out, she and her remaining roommate, both longtime vegetarians - ate some leftover chicken breast that had been left in the freezer, rather than throw out.
That’s not a step I would take - I probably would have cooked the chicken and given it to my dog, who is not about to make a choice to be a vegetarian.
I am not about to indulge in a Reese's now, as the vegan trial continues. I have had vegan chocolate, thought and it was darn good.
But this question of how 'tainted' something must be by a non-vegan product before we decide not eat is an interesting one to me. What do you think?

P.S. Veggie peeps, we have something very special coming up on Vegging Out. A small clue: the full name of this blog is Vegging Out in New Haven and we asked a well known Elm city resident to guest blog for us. He did it and it's coming soon! We are very excited and hope you will be too!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger caringmom said...

Wow- a great family perspective with humour on being vegan not just going vegan!

March 04, 2010 8:33 PM 
Anonymous packaging supplier said...

The new packaging of the Reese peanut butter is so appealing and colorful with a much delicious and crunchy chocolate insider the wrapper.The taste will certainly blow your minds and make you addictive of the milky chocolate.

There are also many good sites which provide excellent quality services for wrapping products.

March 05, 2010 8:58 AM 
Blogger Carole said...

Are the Dark Chocolate Reese's ... more... vegan?

the ingredients are semi-sweet chocolate (54% dark) (sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, milk fat, soy lcithin, vanilla, artificial flavor, pgpr, emulisifier, milk) peanuts, sugar, dextrose, salt, tbhq (preservative)

once you decide how far from veganism you decide to go after your project... this chocolate is not vegan (- as semi sweet is 54% dark chocolate and part milk chocolate) but better than not having reeses in your life!

Carole from TJ's

March 07, 2010 6:52 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home