Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

World's best tofu

While visiting family in Ithaca, NY over the weekend, I was introduced to handcrafted tofu made by Ithaca Soy. And now, I'm in love.

Before this weekend, I thought tofu was tofu. It's pretty bland, got a decent texture, and mostly useful for adding protein to whatever you're cooking. But this stuff is so good that when I was preparing a stir fry with it last night, I kept popping it into my mouth uncooked and unadorned.

It's much denser and chewier than other tofu I've had. It reminds me a lot of paneer cheese used in Indian cooking.

The only problem is, it doesn't seem to be available anywhere around here. And given the 6 hours it took us to drive home from Ithaca yesterday, I don't plan to make regular trips there to buy this product. But I'm craving it.

Does anyone have a favorite handcrafted tofu that's locally available and can fill the void that, before this weekend, I didn't know existed in my life?

On a side note, Ithaca is something of a vegan's paradise. We visited the most expansive farmer's market I've ever seen and ate brunch at Macro Mama's, a delicious all-vegan food stand. We had dinner at the famous Moosewood Restaurant (it did not disappoint). Even the local bagel store had several vegan sandwiches to choose from. And the well-known grocery store Wegman's had a large prepared food section complete with a vegetarian bar, as well as a huge selection of weird produce and the aforementioned Ithaca soy tofu.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger zoe p. said...

The folks at The Bridge, of Middletown, CT make a delicious tofu out of NY state soybeans. It is sold at Edge of the Woods.

It's firmer and creamier than stuff from the supermarket and I know what you mean about "almost paneer" and this is not quite that good . . . but it's very, very good.

June 01, 2010 10:11 PM 
Blogger nike shoes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 01, 2010 11:09 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bridge Tofu in Middletown rocks!!!

June 03, 2010 9:37 AM 
Blogger justjessie said...

I just came across your post as I was looking for a link to Ithaca Soy for my own blog. I am so happy to see the accolades you have given them. They really do make the most fantastic tofu I have ever eaten! I guess I am lucky to live in nearby Syracuse where I can get their products at the farmers' market as well as the local co-op. I am hoping that some of the folks who follow my blog will at least be able to call Ithaca Soy and place orders, but I am also going to send them to your post so they can see what other brands are being suggested here. Happy eating:)

January 08, 2011 5:29 PM 
Blogger whatsthebigidea said...

Ithaca Soy Tofu will be featured at this Saturday's Autumn Tasting event at Honest Weight Food Co-op:

http://www.chefsconsortium.com/autumn-tasting-honest-weight-food-coop-chefs-consortium.html

November 01, 2011 10:35 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home