Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Sunday, December 16, 2007

My favorite vegetarian chili recipe

This has become one of my new favorites, a vegetarian chili recipe from Cooking Light magazine. It's healthy and full of fiber, and has a nice consistency and good flavor, though you may want to add some hot sauce because it's not spicy when you follow the directions.
I like to make the full recipe and eat it throughout the week for lunches. It goes well when mixed with brown rice, too.

Just a note: I leave out the brown sugar and some of the beans, since it seems too heavy on the beans as is. Feel free to mess with the ingredients or proportions, this recipe is not exact chemistry.

Chunky Vegetarian Chili

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 (16 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add all other ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until it's a consistency desirable to you.

Nutritional facts (for 1 cup serving): 257 calories; 2.7 g fat (0.3 g sat, 0.5 g mono, 1.2 g poly); 12.8 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 150 mg calcium; 876 mg sodium; 14.2 g fiber; 4.5 mg iron; 48.8 g carbohydrates.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Patti said...

I shall show this recipe to my husband, who makes a mean chili.

January 07, 2008 11:45 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never liked chili with beans. I make mine with tofu. I freeze the tofu, defrost it, squeeze out some of the liquid, and crumble it into my chili. I always get lots of complements on my chili. Actually, it is called Willa's Chili, because I got the original (meat) recipe from my ex MIL back in the early 70s.

January 22, 2008 9:14 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home