Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Friday, May 25, 2012

Memorial Day: A time to honor those who served for us

I learned at a young age that we must respect those who serve us by serving in the military.
The same, of course, can be said for the millions of Americans who turn out each year to honor Memorial Day. Here are some images of people doing so in Greater New Haven over the years.
My family was hit by loss when I was so young that there is not a lot else I recall from that time other than that my uncle, Daniel Morris Bennett, was killed while serving in Vietnam.
He was much beloved by many and while a dim memory for me, a strong presence throughout my life.
The pain of his loss reverberated through several generations.
But so does the pride in his service to the United States Marine Corps.
My dad also was (is?) a Marine. He is in the photo. (The really good looking one on the left! My older brother says the other good looking one on the right is my Uncle Bob)
The only two songs I can honestly recall my dad ever singing are the Marines' Anthem (yes, I can sing some of it too) and ""Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" the refrain being the important part: "what a wonderful day."
The two are somehow connected in my mind to a dad who made a wonderful life for his family.
On Monday,  Americans again will honor those who gave their lives for us. 
This, I believe, should be done outside any political considerations, past or present.
The Department of Defense will honor Vietnam veterans in a commemoration Monday
I will think of my dad and my Uncle Danny on Monday and all the other men and women who have served.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home