Blogs > Vegging Out

Helen Bennett Harvey promises that no animals were harmed in the making of this blog. Vegging Out is a recipe for a new way of life. Or at least a new way of eating. Pull up a chair. Contact me at: hbennettharvey@nhregister.com

Friday, March 23, 2012

President Obama and Trayvon Martin

The Associated Press reports today that: "President Barack Obama called the shooting death of an unarmed black teenager in a Florida suburb a 'tragedy' on Friday and said that 'every aspect' of the case that has rallied civil rights activists should be investigated."
Of course it's a tragedy.
Trayvon's parents started a petition seeking the prosecution of the shooter.
Further, the president said, also quoted in the AP story, "If I had a son he'd look like Trayvon."
The president was careful to try not to say anything he felt would impair this very important investigation; it is now on the national stage.
He correctly said soul searching needs to be done to find out exactly how something like this happened.
However,  I also would like to add that when I think about Trayvon, just like the president, I also think about my own kids. And Trayvon's mother.
I am not in law enforcement, I am not a judge.
But in fact, when we look at Trayvon, we should all see our child's face in his.
The tragedy, again, is immense. This slideshow, sent to me by Matt DeRienzo, brought tears to my eyes.

Here is the NBC video:



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home